Wits Student Call Centre

The Student Call Centre provides a telephonic and electronic service on student related enquiries.

How is our service?

Residence - I don't have money for the residence deposit. What can I do?

Peter Pitout -

Every residence applicant has to pay a deposit to secure his/her residence place and no exceptions are permitted. If the deposit is not paid within 30 days of the offer being made, the offer will be withdrawn and the applicant will lose the offer.

For any enquiries, please contact the Student Accommodation Office at 011 717 9172

Have more questions? Submit a request


Article is closed for comments.