Wits Student Call Centre

The Student Call Centre provides a telephonic and electronic service on student related enquiries.

How is our service?

Admissions - How do I apply for a Study Visa

Nokwazi Maseko -

The University is not permitted to register you until you have produced your VALID Study Visa. It could take at least 6 to 8 weeks for your Study Visa application to be processed. It is also important for you to note that your Study Visa is issued to study at one institution and you would have to apply for a change of conditions, should you want to change institutions.

You are required to apply for a Study Visa at the South African High Commission, Embassy, Consulate or Trade Mission in your country of residence. If there is no South African representative in that country, you must apply at the nearest South African High Commission, Embassy, Consulate or Trade Mission.

The following are the current requirements to be submitted to the South African Embassy/Consulate in your country to obtain your Study Visa:

  • A passport valid for not less than 30 days after intended studies.
  • Payment of the prescribed administrative fee.
  • Confirmation and proof of payment of a South African Medical Aid Cover with a medical scheme registered with the SA Medical Schemes Council. Cover must remain valid for the duration of the calendar year.
  • Letter of Offer from the University stating the duration of degree.
  • Medical and Radiological reports (less than six months old).
  • Yellow Fever vaccination certificate, if relevant.
  • Relevant certificates if married, widowed, divorced or separated.
  • Details regarding arranged accommodation while in South Africa.
  • Proof of sufficient funds to cover tuition fees and maintenance.
  • A police clearance certificate for the past 12 months or longer since the age of 18

You are advised to submit the documentation as soon as possible to the South African High Commission, Embassy, Consulate or Trade Mission – DO NOT send the documentation to Wits University.

We, however advise that you keep a copy of your submission and all receipts safely. Some South African Embassies, High Commissions, Consulates and Trade Missions require a letter of undertaking from Wits University stating that a student will not be taking the place of a South African citizen and that the University will inform the Department of Home Affairs should the student discontinue his/her studies.

While this is not necessary according to the regulations; if you require such a document, the International Students Office will be able to facilitate this request.

Have more questions? Submit a request


Article is closed for comments.